Anyone who tells you that Email Marketing is obsolete lies. Don’t listen to them.
Many believed that with the advent of RRSS, email would be relegated in the background when it came to promoting and selling online.
Nothing further from reality.
Email marketing is currently one of the most powerful weapons to sell online.
And without further delay, we ask you to make yourself comfortable, because in this article we tell you everything you need to know to start with email marketing. From the “what it is” to tips to start your strategy with this digital marketingtechnique.
Let’s go! 🙂
- 1 What is Email Marketing?
- 2 What do you need Email Marketing for in your online business?
- 3 Starting in Email Marketing: the power of Newsletters
- 3.1 Getting Started: The Basic Email Marketing System
- 3.2 Know the potential of newsletters in email marketing
- 3.3 The importance of copywriting in email marketing
- 3.4 What the CTA should look like in your Newsletter
- 3.5 Email marketing tools for sending newsletters
- 4 Email Marketing: How to start a strategy from scratch
- 5 Now it’s your turn to put it into practice!
What is Email Marketing?
Very simple: it is the promotion by email of products, services and content to generate revenue.
Therefore, email marketing is a technique used by brands to contact their target audience through email.
Email marketing is one of the key elements within the Inbound Marketing methodology. If you are not sure what this methodology is, we recommend that you take a look at this article.
An example of promoting services may be that of a dental clinic.
Imagine that through an FB Ads ad, users arrive on a landing pagewhere they sign up for a free appointment.
Once they are on the dental clinic’s mailing list, they receive several follow-up emails to get them to the free consultation and tips to improve their health always related to one of the services provided by the dental clinic.
In the end, a percentage of these leads or leads end up acquiring the service.
What do you need Email Marketing for in your online business?
Whether Email Marketing is considered an essential element in your online strategy is not by chance.
It has many functions, among which are:
- Request feedback on our products and/or services
- Promotion of brand, services, and/or product.
- Up Selling and Cross Selling
- Sending promo code and promotions
- Send newsletters or newsletters
Through email marketing, companies transmit different messages and/or information to users depending on the phase within the funnel in which they are located and that are therefore adapted to the phase of the purchase cycle (Awareness or awareness, consideration, purchase and retention).
As complex as it may seem, this sending emails to different types of users can be done instantly.
In this way, companies can generate a direct relationship with their subscribers,obtaining feedback on the brand, service/product, etc.and ultimately, getting the ROI return on investment to be higher.
Another advantage is that there are many cases where email marketing is not conceived as an invasive tool.
This is because the user has previously agreed to receive the contents you offer, knowing that after having obtained their contact, the email becomes the direct channel of the company through which you can offer your content.
Starting in Email Marketing: the power of Newsletters
Getting Started: The Basic Email Marketing System
There should always be a page or the typical box that comes out for you to subscribe while you are reading a blog (landing page or squeeze page) where data is requested: name, phone; but, above all, the email.
Then there will be a confirmation process, and then what happens is that a certain number of emails are sent that will take you to a particular page or sales cart.
This is basically what email marketing does. It’s a strategy that works very well in the short, medium and long term because it loyals your audience very well.
A newsletter is a digitalinformative publication that is distributed via email with a certain periodicity (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.).
Newsletters usually contain articles of interest to the brand and also the area in which the same brand is developed. Those who receive the newsletters are subscribers who have previously requested to receive the newsletter by mail. The advantages offered by this tool are as follows:
- If your online business has a blog (basic element if you want to boost the visibility of your website with SEO) and a list of subscribers, you can promote those contents with these emails.
In this case, you can send for example a weekly newsletter summarizing the published contents or send an email each time you post something new on the blog.
- It does not require a large economic investment.
- Subscribers will be informed of the latest news and promotions of your company / brand.
- It’s a source of traffic to your website.
- You can implement customer loyaltystrategies
- Sending a newsletter offers more conversionpossibilities than RRSS posts.
- Newsletters can be segmentedand personalized.
- Newsletters work very well from mobile.
The importance of copywriting in email marketing
Writing online contentis essential to create any type of content, no matter the channel. In this article we already tell you that copywriting is a staple in achieving online sales.
And as it could not be otherwise, in email marketing it is essential to have the techniques of copywriting to achieve more conversions with your emails.
Some of the elements to consider, following the foundations of copywriting, are:
- Using a close tone
- Ask your audience questions
- Include calls to action
- Create short issues
- Avoid some terms that usually go to SPAM as free and offer
- Never include false promises
- Add your user’s name in the subject line to make it appear more direct.
Tips for the content of the email or newsletter:
- Be convincing with what you write
- Highlight the most important words in bold and use subtitles to split the content
- Include calls to action
- Using visual resources
- Don’t write texts that waste your readers’ time
- Make your texts convey
- Focus more on the reader than on the brand or company
- Apply storytelling in the writing, make each email a story with start and end
- Be consistent
What the CTA should look like in your Newsletter
In an Email Marketing strategy, newsletters always have one goal: CONVERT.
And to achieve this, it’s critical that you tell your audience what to do.
Call to action (CTA) calls are essential to get people to do whatever they want.
Here are some tips for writing them correctly:
- They should be brief and concise,forget about the long texts that may lose the essence of the call to action. For example: Click here, Register here, Subscribe, Download now, get it now.
- Calls to action must be persuasive and convincing and have to include a verb. Try to make its design very striking and always consistent with the design of the newsletter although it is important that they contrast with the rest of the content.
There are dozens of email marketing platforms, but we will recommend the ones we use or know and we know that they work very well for most businesses.
We dare say Mailchimp is the most popular email marketing software in the world. It’s for a reason, isn’t it?
It is free up to the first 2,000 subscribers, lets you send up to 10,000 emails per month and, if you pass these figures, it only costs 9.99 euros per month. It offers free autoresponders and is so simple to use that even a 10-year-old could schedule a newsletter on it.
It is the option we recommend you to start with a list of subscribers with almost any business. It doesn’t have the automation potential of Active Campaign, but it’s easy to use, free and has an impressive help center to solve any questions.
Active Campaign is paid, costs 9.99 a month and is probably the simplest to use of the most advanced.
It is a very powerful tool that allows you to do all kinds of automations based on tags, objectives, behaviors, etc.
OTHER INTERESTING TOOLS
- Elementor– Is a page layout for WordPress. You don’t have to chop code to create them, it’s very easy to use and allows you to create almost any type of page. Its free version is very good, and the paid version is nothing expensive.
- Thrive Leads: allows you to create all the types of opt-in you want (pop ups, sidebar…), that is, all the means to capture subscribers and get metrics.
Email Marketing: How to start a strategy from scratch
If you own a company and want to increase your sales and use email Marketing to achieve it, your strategy would have the following structure:
General objective: general: Sell products through the newsletter
Actions to achieve the overall objective:
- Sending exclusive offers for subscribers
- Creating product tutorial videos
- Sending content related to products in the newsletter
- Promotional banners within the newsletter
- Exclusive contests and sweepstakes for subscribers
Content types: To implement email marketing strategies the contents can be:
Content frequency and shipping plan
For this type of sales strategies it is advisable to send the newsletter on a regular basis for example, once a week, but be careful, if you have not been able to create value content it is better to reduce the frequency of publication of the newsletter to once a month. You bet on quality, not quantity.
The frequency of publication of content requires a planning of submissions, to do so, plan your month with the most important data and taras of email marketing campaigns, the creation of the newsletter, the sending, the report and the recruitment of subscribers to always reach more people.
Recruitment of subscribers
Once you want to start distributing your content (videos, testimonials, photos, tutorials etc.) you will be getting into the process of attracting subscribers. At this stage, the form is the most important element.
Metrics in email marketing
As with any Marketing strategy, it is important to never forget about monitoring and measuring results.
Here are some examples of metrics we can use in email marketing:
- Increased subscribers
- Casualty rate
- Conversion metrics
Among others, to measure the results of a newsletter submission we find:
- Opening rate
- Link clicks
- Shipping kills
Email Marketing: How to make your email marketing campaigns effective?
Lists of users or subscribers who are at different stages of the purchase process must be created, also taking into account the tastes, interests and degree of interaction with the brand. We will not offer the same content to those who abandoned the purchase with the cart full as those who did not even fill it. Depending on their behaviors and search history, therefore, personalized content will be sent to each list to get customers and potential customers to become.
In the previous section we have listed some tips for drafting the matter. And the issue is one of the most important elements because it is the first thing the user sees in the inbox and what makes him decide to open the mail or not. You should be consistent with the content and summarize it well, be attractive and generate empathy in the first moments of connection with the user to improve openness rates. It must therefore be summed up in a single line of text everything that you will find inside and draw attention to them with a language that activates, to avoid indifference. It is recommended to contact the user through their name to feel valued and cared for in a personalized way. It is also advisable to start the topic with an imperative verb or use words that encourage reading.
They should be attractive but simple newsletters, with news related to the business sector, promotions, discounts, etc. Attention must be called with valuable content for the user to convert and capture the message to be sent. The purpose of each email should be very clear. To do this, the call to actionbuttons are used to facilitate and push the user to do the action that is intended to be done. With quality content, leads will become customers.
– It must be sent at the right time for subscribers to enter the mail. Through the opening rates you can know what are the most convenient hours to have more reach.
– Each shipment must offer the possibility to stop receiving the newsletter. A user’s interest may have decreased and they may not want to receive more information. The unsubscribe link always has to be there.
– A real benefit must be made on both the subject and the content of the email so as not to create false expectations for subscribers. If not, all hope would turn into frustration.
– Use the trial-error technique to know which emails seduce each audience the most. You have to look at the opening rates to optimize the e-mails according to whether they have been more or less successful. Design, colors, call to action, theme, and more are elements that influence conversion.
– Monitor the words that are used. Some of them do not pass quality filters and mail is redirected to the spam folder. The Hubspottool, for example, publishes an article with the words you should try to avoid during writing, such as ‘urgent’, ‘buy’, or ‘free’.
If users subscribe to the newsletter it is because they freely agree to receive these contents and because they are interested in what is done, offered or said. But targeting is key to the e-mail marketing strategy. It’s no use doing a mass send with information that we don’t really know if it interests all users equally, as this would worsen your perception of the brand.
The goal is to position yourself in the imagination of subscribers and customers as a trusted brand to become the first purchase option. It’s easier to take care of a customer than to create new ones. Therefore, this trust must be generated and the purchase decision influenced to feel accompanied during the process. Generating engagement in the brand-person relationship is how business communication is humanized.
Now it’s your turn to put it into practice!
As you can see, email marketing is an excellent communication tool that you have to communicate with your customers. It is a technique that well used, can give very good results, especially conversion. The perfect opportunity to offer the user quality and value content,with the aim of turning leads into potential customers.
We hope you found this article useful and give you the foundation you need to get started in email Marketing. If you need help, do not hesitate to contact us at Kiwop, we are experts in Web Development and Digital Marketing and we can help you develop an email Marketing strategy tailored to your needs. Of course, we help you with results monitoring. Measuring the progress of the strategy is critical to whether it is working, and otherwise to implement any changes that are necessary.
Contactus and find out how to succeed with email marketing.