Within digital marketing, we can find countless techniques to meet the objectives of our business. The most common are usually related to SEO, social networks, UX, email marketing, among others. However, there is much more to it than that, such as CRO (Conversion Rate Optimization).
This strategy is essential for companies to achieve better results and increase their revenues, ensuring success in the development of their campaign.
In this article, we will introduce you to the CRO concept so that you can master it correctly.
What is CRO?
CRO is a set of techniques and strategies that seek to optimize the conversion rate, with the aim of increasing the number of users who visit our website and, as a consequence, the percentage of sales, leads (the customers who register on our website) or any type of conversion.
However, it can also make us gain knowledge about our customers, better search engine rankings, a higher return on investment, a lower cost of customer acquisition, increased scalability, an excellent user experience and greater trust in our website.
To do this, you must understand what will convince visitors to perform our desired action, based on their behavior, the devices they use or what catches their attention. This way, you won’t miss out on valuable opportunities for conversion errors and ensure that as much of your traffic as possible translates into sales.
What types of conversions are there?
As we mentioned, the main advantage that CRO has is that it helps to get customer traffic to perform the specific action we are looking for. In short, that our visitors become customers.
These conversions can be divided into two types:
- Microconversions: They direct actions to the goal set in macro conversions. Some examples are searching for information, creating an account, adding a product to the cart, staying 60 seconds on the web, viewing more than two pages of the site, among many others.
- Macroconversions: They are those that require the sum of several microconversions made by the user, such as the use of a service, request information, subscribe to the newsletter or buy a product.
How is the CRO calculated?
It is very important to know how to calculate the CRO to carry out a correct monitoring of the results obtained from its application and measure its effectiveness. For this, we will find the following formula:
- Conversion Rate Calculation:
It should be clarified that “session” means when a user interacts on a website for a period of time or after 30 minutes of inactivity.
On the other hand, a conversion refers to each potential customer generated.
The phases of a CRO strategy
On the other hand, we can say that, like any marketing strategy, the CRO is based on a scientific method with several phases that must be carried out to obtain optimal results. We mention all of them below:
Stage 1: Analysis of the situation
In this first phase, all those weak points that our specific website has and that need to be improved must be identified and analyzed. You cannot start with the conversion process, without taking into account the initial situation.
Stage 2: Definition of objectives and hypothesis setting
As analyzed in the previous phase, we must clearly define what we want to improve, based mainly on the flow and behavior of our users, and propose a series of viable hypotheses to carry out the change.
Stage 3: Preparation of tests
In this instance, surveys and satisfaction tests must be carried out for users, with the aim of verifying if the hypothesis raised is correct.
Stage 4: Solution
Based on the results obtained, various solutions are proposed to implement the improvements to the website. A correct follow-up must be carried out to check if these allowed to increase the conversion rate efficiently.
Keep in mind that this will not be the definitive solution, but can be mutated and improved permanently.
Tools to improve CRO
To achieve all of the above, several tools must be used. Some of them are:
- A/B Tests: It consists of making a comparison between two variants of a page to check which of them works best. These are differentiated into a single element and are visualized by two different groups of people.
- Multivariate test: This test is very similar to the A/B Test, with the difference that there are several elements that are modified. In this way, different combinations are compared.
- Heat maps: This tool allows knowing the elements with which users interact to understand their behavior.
- Landing pages: This is the name given to “landing pages”, that is, pages that a user reaches by clicking on a link. These are designed specifically for each campaign and have a clear objective, such as the arrival to one of our social networks, an ad, a download, among many others. This way, users feel more comfortable and find what they were looking for easily.
Other CRO Strategies
Finally, we mention other aspects to take into account and that can help in the optimization of the conversion rate:
- Pop-ups: These are emergent windows that appear on the web. Its main objective is to capture the attention of customers and publicize important information. If used correctly, it can be one of the most effective actions to increase conversion.
- Customer Service: Helping your customers with their problems or queries about your products can greatly increase not only the user experience, but also sales. For this, you can implement chatbots or a live chat to solve the questions in real time.
- Reviews: Including reviews from our customers can increase our conversion. Our website will inspire greater confidence to new users if you have good reviews about our products or services
- Payments: Not offering multiple payment methods can be an inconvenience when making a purchase. Payment flexibility will increase trust and make your sales easier.
- Copywriting: Whether talking about our products or services, about our customers and about the benefits we offer, persuading our potential customers in writing is a key strategy to increase our conversion. However, you should try not to copy your competitors, because while it is true that many encounter the same challenges, you must ensure that they respond to your own goals.
- Design: The conversion must also be accompanied by a careful, attractive web design with good usability, since these can greatly influence the trust that customers will have. In addition, a correct design can facilitate the interaction of users to reach the goal we want.
Now you can start implementing these CRO tips and techniques. The important thing is to correctly observe and analyze all the quantitative and qualitative data obtained, to understand how our visitors interact, identify the problem and apply solutions accordingly.
You will see how, in a short time, you will be able to make the most of your project.